Saturday, December 06, 2003

MY COUNTRY

I think there’s a tendency to the idea that Iranians are barber & that they are all terrorists! Or they are all so poor they can’t even feed their children! & I guess most people think time has stopped over here since 25 years ago (when the revolution happened); maybe time even moves back like we travel in time!
You know the image could be so misleading. But we are in a transition era, we’re moving to Modernism. I admit that there are some difficulties; as you say no pain no gain, we’re going at our own pace & pushing forward is no good at all.
The image of Iranian all over the world is based on what media show… & some Iranian artists help the image! Namely, our modern movie makers just show poverty & pain like there’s no happiness here. I don’t want to overlook the value of artistic idea & impression in those films, but the fact remains that they ruin the image of my country. I wish you could see movies about our history or the real state of my country….
We have the oil, (though I wish we didn’t have it sometimes.) & so world needs us to feed the factories & to be running … but instead of treating us respectfully, we’re accused of being terrorist & it’s not just about the governor Iranians are treated like that too. Why?
I mean if you ever come to Iran, to Persia, you see people are so welcoming. They’re warm & loving. I assure you we are civilized too. & we enjoy modern facilities. It’s common here to use cell phones & computers are becoming a must. The fact that economic prohibition (Americans or any business client shall not by any means deal with Iranians or they can not invest in Iran) keeps of from having so many things doesn’t mean we’re starving! I’m not saying that the economic situation is great, but I’m not saying that it is drowning either.
Once I was told that Tehran’s water is the tastiest you can drink, I thought it was a joke but that’s very true… there is something in it you won’t forget. You’re laughing, huh? But I do believe in that!
Maybe you think I’m prejudiced or that’s only my loyalty & devotion to my country, anyway I’m in it & I have the chance too look it inside out! I mostly try to show you what I am as a girl & as a student in Tehran. I don’t know what others do or what they may say… I know there are some of my country mates who don’t believe in this regime or else, & they have moved out of Iran. I do respect them but they are not a very reliable source to learn about us. (I don’t mean your very nice friend Thingsiknow.) They’re looking at the matter from outside & most of them tend to judge unfair. You might have been told that in Iran people could be arrested for no reason at all, but have you ever told that it’s safe to stay out till midnight? Have anyone ever told you that Tehran doesn’t sleep; that you may wake up in the middle of the night & hear the laughers & cheering of party gusts who just want to get back home? Life is like that! It’s like anywhere else. We have joy, we have pain, good days or bad ones & you can choose to keep the nice memories or visa versa. I try to enjoy my life & keep the fine ones….

No comments: