Saturday, December 06, 2003

Growing old:

Saturday, September 6
I was reading TIK’S blog. She is a great writer & I always enjoy her posts but the post about the final hour of being 34 was something else, wonderful!
It made think about what that really means… the passing of years! I mean as I look back I don’t think there are lots of changes in me since my 16-year-old life. & when ever I read TIK blog I feel she could be the same age as me. My birthday is December 31st. So I always had kind of feeling that the world steps into a new era with each birth day I have. Yet each year when I wake up to say good morning to January 1st, I look out the window & I see the same comforting, familiar view. The only thing that is really changed is my pine tree! When I was young I used to dream that I would get downstairs to the yard by the means that tree. (It was rather short then, just up to the 3rd floor; we live in fourth!) Then out of the blue it grew taller & about three or four years ago, I found out the tree is up to my bedroom window. Guess what? This year it has grown over the roof of the building!
& to tell you the truth, I feel that’s a small sing of me growing old…. My dreams grow old with me too; they change from now & then. & it seems that everything is growing with me in a way that makes me ignore my own ageing.
Yet the progress is so slow my brain doesn’t notice it… the point is the person I call me is changing for sure; but I hadn’t change ever since I can remember. Do you see what I mean? People don’t understand their own changes.
My very dear TIK, what is it like to be 35? You achieved so much & there is so much to gain yet! So I wish you a bright, hopeful year! May your dreams grow in this year & the sense of being wise & young at the same time lingers in your heart!

No comments: