Friday, December 26, 2003

Bam earthquake:

I'm fine & most of people over here in Tehran didn't feel even a shake but we are all shocked & things are a bit hectic here.

It was announced that 70% of the city had been destroyed & over 20000 lives are missing. The phone lines are disconnected & the electricity & water supplies are limited.

The rescue committee is biased in Kerman the nearest large city & 5 states around Bam & Jiroft are in stand-by state to help. Blood of all type, food and blankets are needed.

I've head that donations are enough to settle the victims for the night... I can't donate blood cos I got vaccinated in the past month & when I contact Red Cross, I've been told that volunteers' help in long distance is not needed right now cos it's impossible to send us over there & that we would be more trouble than help (not this much impolite of course!) the lady in charge was very nice though!

As you may heard the largest brick-building in the world, Arg-e-bam (castle of Bam) had been damaged completely! It has been one of the few sightseeing I never got the chance to visit. My family was planning to travel there in spring holidays; but I guess now we must plan on somewhere else.

Alright; I'll keep you informed if anything new happened but meanwhile I think I must thank Turkish government for they had been the first to offer their help.

No comments: