Saturday, December 13, 2003

It’s snowing!

So at last winter is here! Officially winter starts on 22 December which is the first of Day (the first month of Persian winter), but today Tehran is white covered by snow….

Winters… the time to make stories, time to feel easygoing & time to be a fairy in real life! This is how I see winters, nice & slow like romance & wild & unpredictable like isolated islands at the same time. It’s got the wisdom of a mature aged leader & yet mischievous laughter of a 5-year-old. It’s young as snow & old as time. I always wonder how it could be so complicated & simple simultaneously….

Right now I’m sitting by the window, looking over the city I love so much. A blanket of snow covers Tehran’s body. It covers viciousness & gloom & leaves the city pure & virgin. It seems to cast away all differences… there is only one color White, silver, or what you may call it… nothing but spotless clarity.

Winters holds some kind of a feminine character if you know what I mean. In Persian myths, winter fairy in an old woman. But I love to consider the winter goddess as young beautiful fairy, dressed in white robe… with jasmines in her hair. She passes by & spreads silver flakes of snow… or simply she sits by fireplace narrating tales which never ends.

This season is sort of family season too. Over here in Iran we sit around the living room & safe in the security & warmth of houses we spent long winter nights together. Folks tend to spend more time at home & stay close to the one they love. It sounds winter bonds us all together….

Children love this season! Schools would be closed after heavy snows & kids just go out to play, make snowmen & enjoy their unexpected day off! As a kid I used to pray for heavy snow… not that I didn’t loved the school but the temptation of staying in my bed under comforter & watch snowflakes melt hitting my window was so strong; it would erase the school from my mind!

I must declare I’m still praying for snow…. & still I spend most part of the morning (if I would be free) in my bed, watching white flakes, sipping my cup of tea & daydreaming! Alright I guess I never stop the daydreaming part…. What else I do in winter? Hum? I play with snow…. I gathered winters bring the child inside of me back! Sometimes I just put on my warm overcoat & grab umbrella to go for a walk, the best thing you can do in heavy traffic. It’s amazing to watch people hurrying around, trying to get home as soon as possible.

Wow, enough for now! I will write about winter costumes in Iran next time… till then enjoy your winter….

No comments: