Friday, May 28, 2004

Earthquake here in Tehran:

Oh my God! I just don’t know how I can explain what I feel now.... well, first of all, we are all kicking & alive & over here in Tehran there had not been a soul loss reported, although in some parts the electricity is cut off.
But it was a rather frightening experience; the earthquake was about 5.5 grades & it lasted for a good 2 minutes. Last great earthquake here was about 4 grades & it lasted only 30 seconds.... so I guess you can say that this time it seemed more intense....
It’s been told that a French source has announced a 6.2 degree for the earthquake. We don’t know yet if it is true or not.
We don’t know if there had been damages in other areas either, we know that only one person had passed away in GHAZVIN.
Why this earthquake was so frightening although the damage was not much? I guess the time of the occurrence was an important factor. For all other earthquakes, most people were asleep & didn’t feel anything. But for this one (5:10 pm) people got really frightened & they mostly ran out of their houses in the street. Another point in this matter is the fact that the Bam earthquake is still fresh in the memories of people. & the fact that earthquake has been one of the most frequent discussion topics, had its own effect. You see only few posts back, I wrote about earthquake training.....
Well, I should get going. If anything new happens, you will be informed.
Ps: last news: 5 killed; 20 injured.

2 comments:

Lynne said...

I just read about that earthquake on the news. I read that at least 23 people are dead. I am very happy that you posted about this because I was worried about you. I am glad you are ok. That must have been very scary.

Doral said...

Hi Proshat,
I'm so glad that you were safe from harm when the last earthquake hit. I'm really late posting this comment because something went wrong with my Favorites list and when I clicked on Proshat my stupid computer said that there was no such blog. But I have it fixed now. It's so nice to see that Lynne is still with us. Hi Lynne. I'm trying to get a new blog set up on Blogger, but I'm having a bit of trouble getting things the way I want them. When I'm up and running I'll give you my address.

Grandpa Doral