Sunday, May 16, 2004

Earthquake training…

Today in Tehran young children who attend kindergartens had a earthquake exercise! There is a Traffic Park in Tehran were this had taken place.
TV showed small kids who were standing in a corner of a shaking box & they were trained to avoid high buildings & each had been given a small bag which could be worn around the neck in which they had their name & address & photos of their parents.
This is what I call improvement. I didn’t get the earthquake training until I was like 8 years old & even then I just had learned oral lessons. It was not until I start being trained for first aid as red-cross volunteer that I actually practiced the rules. You know we were trained in school about first aid & I was like 14! But nowadays 4-year-olds know everything about earthquake.
It is really important in a city like Tehran where there is a high chance for earthquake that kids learn how to deal with it, even if it would seem like a game to them. My 4 year old cousin once told me that if the earth shakes I must run to the corner & don’t try to get downstairs by elevators…. Well, most grown-ups don’t know how to act….

No comments: