Thursday, May 27, 2004

A Year Had Passed

This is kind of strange.... it had been a year I started bloging! Wow! Look how much I have changed over the past year! I definitely grew up (which is not a good thing) & I made fabulous friends (which is why I keep posting still).
Well, when I started to blog I never knew what I wanted to write about. Mostly I had this intention to change the image of Iranians in some few people who would check my blog. I don’t know how much this goal is accomplished. It is really important for me to know how others think about my country. & I always hated it when I saw the injustice media forcing on this image.
Do you know that when BBC world shows the weather forecasts, on the map, all the countries around Iran are mentioned, but there is nothing about Iran or Tehran? & I’m sure you know that the Persian Gulf is plainly called gulf... like it doesn’t have any names! Have you heard of the world’s largest lake? The Caspian Sea? Do you know that Iranian had been the first nation who ever sail through this lake & we call it KHAZAR...?
I am Iranian & I am proud of the history behind me. I just want to find my place in this new world & this blog was all about that... finding more, learning more.... I hope if someone, who may have once read my blog, met an Iranian somewhere... understand that s/he is a human being. & I’m looking toward the day when this terrorist image of Iranians fades away & instead the image of a welcoming friendly nation would replace this one.
My second goal was to show you how we live in Tehran. Tehran... the city I love so much. I don’t even know why I love this city.... Most of the time it is crowded & polluted, yet the few nice days makes it the most beautiful place in the world for me. Right now I’m sitting by my window overlooking south & I can see the plain filled with buildings in front of me. You see, Tehran is surrounded by mountains from 3 sides.... The average height of my city is about 4000 m above the sea level & most of the streets have slight (or sometime sharp) slopes. There is no natural water source inside the city.... I mean, there is no huge river & of course no big lakes... only small springs there & then. So we have some vulnerable geographical position... we can easily be famished! & to make the situation worse there are more than 45 cracks in Tehran which makes it one the most expected area for earthquakes. (Tehran is located on the earthquake belt!)
But my city is so beautiful... not in artistic shape like other large cities or not in historical way like Isfehan or Shiraz; but in its own way. You know Tehran is like a person with casual but comfortable cloths. It spreads wherever it likes & the whole city has the mood of care-free-ness. You know she is always fashionably cheerful... like a kind lady. She is welcoming & forgiving. Anyone can find place to fit in her heart. It doesn’t mater for her who you are or where you are from, she can always take you in & give you what you want. Tehran is no goddess like Shiraz & she is not a b**** like some other cities. She is mother who takes care of you, the lover who nourish your emotions & for sure she is a playful friend. Then again Tehran is the boss behind her casualty, Iran’s life depend on her. It is ridiculous sometime... basically there is no oil in Tehran, no big industry, no mines, no water.... & still we get the best of everything! She is like the queen... she produce much but owns the best. & yes! This the city I was born & lived in. This is the city I adore.... This city!
Tehran is an example of tolerance. You can find people of any reign in Iran here. They all live together with their different idea & customs under one territory: Tehran.
Alright... don’t you feel sick of me talking about Tehran? I got to go now! But I’ll be back with more on my hometown!
BTW how did you find the pictures?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wooooooooooooow!
happy new template, such a nice one!
and happy pictures, it seems hHello.com is a power full tool

Lynne said...

Proshat, I have really loved reading your blog. I think you have accomplished your goal to inform at least one person about Iran. I often find myself wishing to learn more. It sounds like a wonderful place. Whenever I read what you say about your life and your love for your country, it always makes me a little sad. I get sad because I really feel inspired to come visit your beautiful country but I know that I cant because of other people's politics. I dont know if your country would let me in for one thing but even if they would, *my* government wouldnt allow me to go. If I went to Iran, I could be put in jail upon my return. And we here in the United States like to think that we live in a free country!

Keep writing, Proshat. I never really thought of it before but maybe blogs can help people in the world get along better. It isnt so easy to hate people if you get to know them. Especially when they are good and kind and wonderful like you are. Spread that around. The world needs it.