Thursday, April 27, 2006

Mr. Bluff

I really need to practice more self-control. I need to practice patience, which honestly has never been one of my not-so-many virtues.
What is THE matter? Simple: recently a colleague is getting on my nerve! Although I am much younger, he is the one who is inferior in rank. What I mean is that actually, I happen to be the boss & he happens to be under my supervision; which seems to be incomprehensible for him. It had never been one of my tactics to boss around or give orders. It’s more like me to ask for a favor rather than directing a command & that has gotten me in the situation where he shouts at me in front of a crowd. Thus, I feel it’s really time I did something about it.
The point is that ‘doing something about it’ means I have to go to mattresses & pick up a war & I have to neglect the respect I show him due to his elderliness.
It’s not the first time he had tried to interfere with my duties at work. I try not to be judgmental yet he never did his job the way he was supposed to do & when I tried to cover the part he must be doing, he felt in danger & tried his best to keep me out of the situation.
It’s partially my fault too. Being the perfectionist that I am, I never feel satisfied enough with the situation. & also I did let him overtake me because of my boyfriend.
You know that I supervise the cuisine contactor in my company. My boyfriend happened to be the contractor representative at the time we started going out. Due to the situation & the fact that in Iran having a boyfriend is kind of a TABOO for government (I work for a governmental company), I preferred to keep my relationship down low. Joop & I never let our relationship get in the middle of our jobs & soon he resigned & left the place. The colleague I’m talking about who is also an overseer figured that we were friends & send the reports to the heads which only led to me staying more in the office instead of the site & that made the quality of food so bad that the complains made them put me back on site.
I never mentioned a thing to him though. & I never mentioned that it was his fault & flaw, which made them put me back on site. Heaven knows it was much easier for me to be in the office cos basically that meant more power for me with less mess.
Now that I am back on the site again, I guess he feels terrorized, & he looks scared of losing his job because almost everybody knows he is an addict. & that is why he is getting on my nerve. He fears I try to get even! & I don’t know what to do really… he is preventing me from doing my job but I don’t think it’s fair to his family to have him out of job. Anyhow, he must learn a few lessons & the first is to know who the boss is.

1 comment:

Lynne said...

Proshat, my dear, that sounds like a very difficult situation to be in. It can often be very difficult to supervise men because so many men just simply do not like taking orders from a woman! It is getting better here in the USA but there are still a lot of men who think like that. Follow your instincts and "trust your gut." You are the boss in this situation and probably because you deserve to be.