Monday, October 04, 2004

Iran & Iraq: resemblances & differences.

Growing up in a politically educated family, I can't help but react to the most important political event of the world. (Well, doesn’t this sound rather stupid? Why should presidential election in one country gains this much attention? It's America who must concentrate on their four upcoming years not the rest of the world you know?)
Senator John Kerry had commented in his presidential debate that Iran & North Korea were more dangerous than Iraq. Well, at least that's what I guessed from his words. I am not sure if that means that he plans on attacking Iran or not; however I decided to write a few words about it.
Once upon a time there was a region called Mesopotamia. Mesopotamia was a place between tow main rivers in Middle East: Forat & Dejla. & once upon a time Iranian Emperors were ruling over Mesopotamia. But that's all history literally.
As long as I can remember -& that's not so long ago- Iran & Iraq had been enemies. Or I rather say Iranian government didn’t see eye to eye with Iraqis. Though most of Iranians I know would like to visit Iraq since some of our Imam's tombs are located there. We share many points with Iraq: we are Moslems to be specific most of us are sheea.
Still sharing the history & religion doesn’t exactly mean that we would act the same in similar situations for instance in being attacked. I know that we don’t have the most democratic government in the world & I also believe that there are a lot of people here who are classified as Dissenters, yet it is obvious that Iranians don’t want other countries to meddle in their business; since if they feel the need for a change, a revolution will cover it.
Iran is one of the countries in the Middle East which had never been a Colony. Foreignism has never been a desired practice in my country, though I must admit that our affairs had never been devoid of foreign hand.
I don’t know. May be I read too much into Senator Kerry's statements. Yet believe me attacking Iran is not the answer.By the way, I still think Senator Kerry will win the election.

1 comment:

Lynne said...

I think a lot of Americans have this belief that everything that happens in the world is our business. I am not sure I agree with that. So, while if I were an Iranian, I would probably have lots of issues with the government there, I am NOT an Iranian. So really, it is not my business how things are run there is it? I wish others in the US could learn to mind their own business.

It just seems wrong to me that nice people should have to have fear that they will be invaded by the United States.