Tuesday, January 06, 2004

Birthdays

Alright what birthdays are like in my country? Fun! This word describe every birthday all over the world. Yet there are different ways of celebrating the occasion.
Over here in Tehran we celebrate our birthdays in different ways.... First there are parties (which in fact is my least favorite one)! It could be some family parties or friends. & usually it's in the evening 5 to 11 or longer. It may last till 2-3 am. Cakes & candles & gifts are the essential part of them. When I was younger I used to have big bashes for my birthdays. The tradition is like this: the first step is sending invitation cards to your guest. Usually hey are handed manually & you will have words in order to know how many people are able to make it. Then you have to prepare the foods & snacks & you know all this decorations with color papers, balloons, the funny hats and all the usual birthday stuff. Cake is ordered to be ready for the night. The evening of birthday party guest would show up around 7 to 9 & there would be dances & dare-devil or other kind of games then there would be inner (if you intend to have a diner party) & the last things are the tradition of blowing the candles & cutting the cake & unwrapping the presents. Most of parties will be over after that. But some others will linger and you may party al night long! This was almost the good part yet when I think of the mess which should be cleaned the day after.... just forget about it! I felt exhausted for a week!
The other way which I prefer is small family gathering. T’s cool when you got home & there is a small cake & flowers waiting for you. No dances which suits me fine & few beloved people who cherish you for you yourself not for the party you've thrown. Well, in my family there is a tradition of reading poems like hafiz.
Still there is some other ways like surprise parties which is not much different from the one I told ya. Another one is fiends hang out (that could be by plan or surprise). So far it had been the most preferred way among young people. You know throwing a party is kind of hard 'cos most of us live with our parents & arranging a plan without bothering them, is almost impossible. So we choose the easier way.... You choose a date & place & everybody will get over there. Someone will buy the cake & candles & you will have something in the café &.... There are different ways of paying for the birthday gathering. Some people have the birthday guy to pay (instead of 5he gifts as they say!) some other would pay for the guy as a gift & shares the other bill. We have another way... we share no matter whose birthday it is & there would be gifts as well. Actually I don't like the idea of gifts! Last year I & Mooshi had one birthday party & this year I just dismissed the idea of me having a hang out so we wouldn't have to go out 4 times in a week! Although I had a very pleasant surprise birthday hang- out with my CLC class pals.
Guess it’s enough for now. Tomorrow will be Mooshi's birthday & I don't want to look sleepy @ all!
Lets face the day with laughter....

No comments: