Thursday, December 01, 2005

My TOEFL Score Has Arrived!

& I do not believe my eyes! I got 657 out 0f 670 on the paper based test. Although as I reckoned before my TWE (Test of Written English) score is not good & I just received 4 out of 6 which is very low considering the score I expected. Well, that’s not surprising cos the time run out before I could write the conclusion for the writing test. I wish I could use other parts’ time to finish up my writing but alas. If I could, I would have around 15 minutes added to my 30-minutes time for writing & it would have been more than enough for me to complete my test.
I am still shocked for my general score, however. This means that I only had 3 wrong answers in the whole test! Which is absolutely crazy! I really didn’t think I would be able to perform that well on the test due to that fact that I was fasting. Besides, 657 is … I don’t know, it’s like a dream come true.
I’m not usually one to make a fuss about scores. Yet even the most self-obsessed part of me could not imagine this. I would have appreciated 630 but after seeing my friends’ scores, I assumed that mine would be around 600 or less. So either I have gotten lucky or the test score is wrong!
The funny point is that this particular score will do nothing for me. English knowledge is not appreciated very much at my company, not in my section anyway. & there would be no way I can use this score as long as I am in Iran.
That’s why I have seriously started to think about studying abroad. I don’t know where I can find a good university with low costs. & honestly, right now I feel it’s really unfair that my friend who has a lot of trouble making a sentence in English has the opportunity to study abroad cos she has become an immigrant due to her father’s status. I know I should not write this & I definitely understand that I should not envy her for the things she has. That’s not the way friends should feel about each other. But right now, I don’t feel like practicing the morals I have been brought up on.
I wish I could find something that she, herself had achieved without the help of her parents, so that I could relate her privileges to them. Life is not fair. & I have to shut up before I give in to this bottled-up-silently-screaming anger that I feel right now.
Adios.

3 comments:

Lynne said...

It can be pretty hard to watch one's friends get things easily that we have to struggle to get (if we get them at all). Sometimes it helps me to focus on all the things in my life that are good. You know...focus on what you have and not what you dont have.

As for studying abroad. I think that is a fabulous idea! Sometimes universities give scholorships to students from countries that they think will add to the diversity of the student body. There are lots of English speaking countries in the world too and lots of universities.

Doral said...

Hi proshat and congratulations on the test score.

As for individuals getting special favours and positions because of who their Father/mother is or who their political friends are, that is a universal problem all over the world. "It's not what you know but who you know that is important". I have seen that in action nearly every day of my life in Canada, and even more so in the United States when I lived there. I have very few complaints myself, but I have seen truly dozens of unqualified people promoted past talented, deserving people.

As for studying overseas, that is usually a good thing depending on the university that you choose. There are many universities that will take your money, but really waste your time because they are not highly regarded by employers. The best thing would be to try to talk to others from Iran who are studying overseas and get their recommendations. And, of course, you would want to go to a school that has a top rated department in your specialty (major).

I hope that you were noplace near where that plane flew into the building.

Anonymous said...

Hi
The same happened to me. I am not very good in English, but I could get 610 on my TOEFL. I received it yesterday. I know I worked hard, I practiced and practiced to get this score. I am now accepted in Fulbright scholarships in USA from Afghanistan and I am going to get my LLM degree in International Corporate Law next year.
Shoaib Timory
zendagee.blogfa.com