Sunday, July 11, 2004

The new method is working!

Well, I still have problem with my hyper student but the others are adapting themselves easily with my method.
I used to review all the last sessions in the beginning of the class so my student would get into the mood for a new English lesson & then I would teach the new material & repeat it.
But now that I started teaching alphabet & letters, I changed my timing schedules. I teach the oral part (like the concept of family or colors or...) after a short review of the related subjects; then I would teach letters (which happens to be my students' favorite part). & at last I ask questions student by student & check their handwritings & we discuss their problems. This usually takes more time than expected so I take my student to saloon & as soon as they're done, they can go home. Most of my students prefer to stay in the saloon & do their home work while I'm asking questions.
A very huge obstacle in teaching English to youngsters is the fact that most of them are forced to come to the classroom. I mean they can't figure why they are learning a foreign language & our reasons (like oversee travels or computers) don’t satisfy them.
Oh yeah; I must tell you.... I guess I have to teach for the next couple of months! Let's see if I can get adapted or what!

2 comments:

Lynne said...

I am sure you are doing great, Proshat.

I have to share a funny language thing with you though. The word 'saloon' here in America is almost always used to refer to a 'tavern' or 'bar'. That is, saloon = a place where alchoholic beverages are served which would be the type a place a teacher would never take her young students.This is especially true of a teacher in Iran ;) Usually, when I think of a saloon, I think of one of those taverns in the old west filled with cowboys and gunslingers and poker games and cigars.

Your English is so good that I hesitate to laugh but the image of sweet young Proshat leading her young pupils into an old western saloon and ordering up a whiskey or something made me laugh.

As for teaching kids who are forced to learn the subject, I guess that is just how it is. My sister teachers French, Spanish and German and gets the exact same comments. Kids dont really understand that knowing another language can expand their worlds. I wish I knew more languages.

Doral said...

Hi Proshat,
Good for you!! You are following the first rule of effective teaching. That is....do what works for you. As I said before, you have the natural insticts to be a good teacher. "May the Force be with you".

Of course Lynne is right. When you say "saloon" any American will conjure up a vision of some huge room filled with drunken cowboys, "fancy" women and gamblers. I'm not sure how common that image is in other English speaking countries. Of course, Canadians and Americans haven't really spoken English for the last 200 years. But then, even in England the use of correctly spoken English has almost disappeared, as we learn from Pygmalion or the more recent musical version, My Fair Lady.

Saloon is not a commonly used term for a drinking establishment in Canada, although most Canadians would be familiar with the word. Most Canadians call these establishments "beer parlour" or just simply "bar". At least those were the terms when I quit going into them about twenty years ago.