Wednesday, July 07, 2004

I think I will quit!

I really don’t know if the management should get involve in every _ I mean every!_ detail of every class or what?
For the past 2 weeks I had difficulties with one of my students... he is a bit hyper & I really can't control him. He is 7 years old & I thought he would do better in a lower level with less discipline in the classroom, since he is always standing in the middle of the class & he never pays attention to what I'm saying. So I had a talk with management & her mother was there to make a decision about him attending my class. & the result is he is staying. Well, I really don’t want to get into the details but my boss spend the whole time of last session in my class repeating the lesson for him! & well, unfortunately, she had never taught English & she kept meddling with teaching telling my students what to do. Then she told me that I was "say to much 'be quite' or 'why are you talking" in the classroom!
I really don’t like it when people who don’t have the actual knowledge tell me what to do. I asked to divide my class into tow classes so I could have more time with my students. It was rejected. So I asked them to find a sub teacher for the class.
I think I should have never tried for the teaching job! But anyway I learned something & that's the best of the experience; so there is nothing to regret.
I never thought I would give up so easily. I used to fight for the things I would start. If I had any doubt, I would not start something but this once.... Well, I'm going to spend the rest of my days as a teacher with a new method. I hope it would work....
The only thing I wish is my students would remember me as a nice teacher. That's all for now.
I have class tomorrow... pray for my nerve.

1 comment:

Doral said...

Dear Proshat,
I'm sorry to hear that you have encountered one of the worst aspects of teaching. I mean the incompetent administrators who seem to find their way into positions of authority.

Of course I do not know how your school is organized. In Canadian public schools all teachers have tenure after a year and cannot be fired. What usually happens is that the worst stay forever and get into administration because they have seniority. This often happens in the business world also. The very best teachers often quit after their first year because of frustrations such as you are experiencing. I think that you have the natural instincts to be a good teacher. I will pray for your success.

Grandpa Doral