Thursday, November 10, 2005

Dreams

I’ve been writing down my dreams ever since I can remember & it had led to me writing some pieces. Some time ago, I was searching through my notes & I found some of my old ones, one is based on a dream I had.
I wonder if it is right that our unconscious mind shows it’s creativity while we’re asleep. I mean right before I fall asleep all these ideas float into my mind & if only I could catch one of them, I would be able to write a masterpiece.
I gather some dreams are the ‘to-be-continued-s’ of my pre-sleep story-weavings. It is like I see the first episode when I’m still half-awake & in my slumber I make out the outline of the fantasy & then I dream it.
Do we have command on what we dream? I read Freud’s book of dreams recently. & he didn’t seem to think that human can control what they see in dreams. Well, he thinks that ‘we’ partially make dreams during the day. Yet he defines it as an uninhibited process. My question is if anybody else has ever controlled his or her dreams.

1 comment:

Doral said...

I think that the recent scientific research on dreams has left Freud behind in the dust.

I don't know much about dreams, but some of the new research that I've read about is a little interesting. I sure don't try to control my dreams. I wouldn't want to even if I could.

I have had some dreams repeat several time. Quite often my dreams take place in the same setting. I spent most of my working life in schools and universities so I'm not surprised that many of my dreams happen on a university campus. It's never one from my real life. Even though the settings are the same the dreams and the people in them are usually different. I almost never see any real people in my dreams.

I always seem to be young when I'm dreaming, but never younger than 20 or so.

I have awakened during the night and realized that I knew the solution to a problem that had been on my mind when I went to sleep. That has only happened two or three times in my whole life.

I usually think about a story that I'm writing after I go to bed but I have never had that story continue into my dreams.

I think that the mind creates dreams for very specific reasons, and I think that dreams are personal and unique just as each one's personality is unique. I don't believe that things mean the same in different people's dreams. Supposing that ten people all dreamed about flying a plane though a cloud. If there is any meaning in that dream i don't think that the meaning would be the same for each of the ten persons.

Dreams are very much a part of the natural world. I have always had some dogs and cats living with me and i have seen them dreaming hundreds of times. Sometimes they even "talk" in their sleep.